Philomont Volunteer Fire Department Company Business Meetings are typically scheduled for the 4th Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m unless otherwise scheduled/posted. Company Business Meetings are held either in-person at the station or virtual. Contact us at email: email@example.com if you wish to learn more or attend a meeting (please provide your name and contact information).
The next Company Business Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday February 22, 2023 at 7:30pm
Virginia Department of Historic Resources Philomont Historic District Preliminary Information Form
Several community members have approached the fire department and asked how to obtain a copy for their review of the VA Dept of Historic Resources Philomont Historic District Preliminary Information Form (PIF) DHR No. 053-6509 as proposed by the Philomont Village Foundation (PVF).
See below for a copy of the PIF.
The Philomont Volunteer Fire Department (PVFD) does not support the approval of this Historic District PIF as drafted for the following reasons:
(1) It is the belief of the PVFD that a goal of this historic district PIF is to stop, delay, defer, or subvert the building of the new station at the PVFD property at 37180 Snickersville Turnpike (formally known as the Horse Show Grounds) and could adversely impact the future use of the existing station once the new station is built. Note that the property at 37180 Snickersville Turnpike has no Historic or permanent structures on it.
(2) The proposed historic district boundary appears to be subjective in nature, selectively including some Philomont properties while not others.
(3) Discussions with Local Real Estate agents indicate that properties within the historic district boundaries designation could be adversely impacted in the future sellability and value of those properties.
(4) Once the designation has been approved, there is no opportunity to reverse course and remove any of the properties for the present and future property owners.
(5) Even though the designation of Historic District is an honorary designation there is no guarantee that the system and designation could not change and become more restrictive.
(6) There is no guarantee that future historic designation proposals will not be introduced by the Philomont Village Foundation or other entity that would impose more restrictive conditions on Philomont property owners ( via local historic district rules and regulations, ie A Loudoun County Historic Overlay or Small Area Plan)
(7) The honorary designation does not protect the property owners use and what they can do to their properties and therefore does little, if anything, in the form of "Historic" protection.
(8) Due to the historic district application requirements for boundary continuity, the proposed boundary includes structures on properties that are less than 20 years old.
(9) The proposed historic district boundary fails to include structures and properties with significant historic recognition and value.
(10) As a note - No Philomont Village Foundation Board Members reside within the proposed district boundary and their residences would not be impacted by the historic district designation.
Open Burning Permitted after 4:00pm
February 15, 2023 - April 30, 2023